revising my attitude to Scarfolk

Following a brief twitter conversation with @langrabbie and @owenhatherley about an old blog post I wrote on here : http://historytoday-navickas.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/brutalgie-whats-wrong-with-scarfolk.html, I'd like to revise what I said about Scarfolk, the fictional world invented by Richard Littler, https://scarfolk.blogspot.co.uk/ 

At the time (Jan 2015), I complained that it was a little too obvious in its satire, and that it didn't seem to have a political purpose. What has happened since that date and today has made me rethink this - now, each new post by Littler is deliberately and often sharply political. And a few times, the news breaks and you're left thinking 'this is too bizarre/cruel/shocking, even for Scarfolk'.  

It's still perhaps not as perceptive and deep as the 'fakelore' of Hookland, but Scarfolk has indeed become much more relevant and topical.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commemoration of the execution of 17 Luddites, York, 19 January 2013

'As I tried to bludgeon Chartist demonstrators in the square'