3D mapping of Oldham landowners in 1829

I'm currently trying to make a 3D model of Dunn's map of Oldham in 1829.

Here are two versions:
http://protesthistory.org.uk/oldhammaps/Oldham_Dunn_3D_earth.html

http://protesthistory.org.uk/oldhammaps/Oldham_Dunn_3D_map.html

Dunn's map of Oldham 1829



It's easier to navigate on a touch screen. If you're on a standard PC then zoom in by pressing ctrl + shift and the up button.

Still work in progress as I haven't entered the whole of Dunn's index of landowners and occupants.

Quick summary of how to do it:
1. geo-reference the map in QGIS
2. draw the polygons of the buildings, remembering to add a column in attributes for number of floors. I've estimated this as I don't know the real heights, so for cottages I've put 2 floors, houses 3 floors and big buildings like factories and churches I've put 6 to make them stand out.
3. use the 'threejs' plugin in QGIS. This automatically converts the floor heights into the z co-ordinate - really easy. It makes it into a html file for you with associated files, which you just then upload to your webserver in one folder. Magic.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commemoration of the execution of 17 Luddites, York, 19 January 2013

'As I tried to bludgeon Chartist demonstrators in the square'